We are celebrating all things Chenin, at the launch of the Chenin Safari. Please join us for brunch and a selection of Chenin Blancs from these top producers:Beaumont Wines, Boschendal, DeMorgenzon, Hazendal, Holden Manz, Jordan Wines, Ken Forrester Wines, Leopard’s Leap, Old Road Wine Co, Perdeberg, Rickety Bridge, Spier, Stellenrust, Van Loveren, Wildeberg, Wildekrans and Zevenwacht.Limited tickets available at R150.00 pp
This winter, the Chenin Blanc Association is celebrating what makes the Cape winelands so special – Chenin Blanc and being outdoors! We challenge all mountain bikers to see how many Chenin Safari stops they can visit during the six-week period. Should you choose to accept this challenge, you will earn yourself a designer cycling shirt and stand a chance to win fabulous prizes.
We are partnering with the Wine Lands Cycling Club, the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy, Overberg and the Franschhoek Wine Valley to bring you four safari loops to ride plus two Chenin destinations worthy of exploring: Perdeberg Wines in Paarl and Van Loveren Family Wines in Robertson.
We will kick off the six-week Chenin Safari on 18 June 2022 with a fun ride hosted by the Wine Lands Cycling Club, ending at Ken Forrester Wines with a Chenin festival that will include brunch and a selection of Chenins to taste. The fun ride will have both a 20km and 40 km option.
Our six-week celebration of all things Chenin will conclude on 30 July (weather permitting) with a fun ride in the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy. The 120km MTB trail network across farm roads, jeep tracks and numerous single tracks through Renosterveld fynbos offers spectacular views. While never too technical, there are challenging climbs and a variety of distances on offer for riders of all fitness levels.
How it works:
- Participants must register and pay R200 to sign up for the Chenin Safari. The registration fee includes the cycling permit for the fun ride and entrance to the Chenin festival on 18 June.
- During the six-week period, the Chenin Safari participants must visit the participating wineries and take a photo at the tasting venues.
- For the challenge, participants have six weeks to visit at least six Chenin Safari stops and upload a photo of their visit, tagging @cheninblancsa, @the_winery_name, #DrinkChenin and #CheninSafari.
- If you complete the challenge, you earn a free #DrinkChenin cycling shirt which will carry the logo of the participating winery you selected when signing up.
- Everyone who completes six Chenin Safari stops will earn their free #DrinkChenin cycling shirt.
- Everyone who visits more than six Chenin Safari tops will also stand a chance to win fantastic prizes.
- An overnight stay in a luxury suite on Jordan Wine Estate in Stellenbosch including breakfast, a bottle of Jordan wine, and a wine tasting and cellar tour for two people.
- An overnight stay at the beautiful Franschhoek Cellar cottage, a tasting at Old Road Wine Co and dinner with a bottle of wine included for two people.
- An overnight stay in the newly renovated EersteBosch guest cottages, in the heart of the winelands, for two people. (http://eerstebosch.com/)
- A wine blending course at Rickety Bridge for 2 people
- See the Franschhoek Valley Wine route in style, with two Wine Tram tickets.
- 36 Bottles of Chenin for one lucky winner.
For more details, please visit: https://www.drinkchenin.co.za/cheninsafari
Ken Forrester Wines
Franschhoek Valley Wines:
Old Road Wine Co
Bot River Loop:
The interest in wine from Old Vines is not new. However, thanks to the curious viticulturist, Rosa Kruger, who started the search in South Africa for vines 35 years or older in 2002, traction for local wines made from these vines has been growing steadily. The Old Vine Project was formally launched in 2016, with an official bottle seal for producers following in 2018. South Africa is the only country in the world to have a regulatory authority that can issue such certification.
Tim Atkin’s South Africa Report for 2020 has just been released, and we are thrilled to have received Medals of Excellence for 4 of our wines. These medals are given to producers with wine scores above 90 points. Our wines which have done so well are as follows:- Continue reading Tim Atkin Master of Wine – South Africa 2020 Report Results
Lamb Rib Chop Korma, Saffron Potato, Chargrilled Cauliflower, Mint Yoghurt, Coriander & Lime Chutney
A nice recipe to rustle up after work on a week-night, this one works really well with either our new Estate Chenin Blanc, or our Barrel Select Reserve Chenin Blanc. Continue reading Food & Wine Pairing Recipe – Barrel Select Reserve Chenin Blanc
In an awards ceremony yesterday, August 1st 2019, the winners of the 2019 Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards were announced. Wildekrans is so proud of the achievements of our wine-maker and his team. We received the following awards: Continue reading 2019 Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards Winners Announced