- This event has passed.
18 June @ 8:00 am - 30 July @ 5:00 pm SASTR200
This winter, the Chenin Blanc Association is celebrating what makes the Cape winelands so special – Chenin Blanc and being outdoors! We challenge all mountain bikers to see how many Chenin Safari stops they can visit during the six-week period. Should you choose to accept this challenge, you will earn yourself a designer cycling shirt and stand a chance to win fabulous prizes.
We are partnering with the Wine Lands Cycling Club, the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy, Overberg and the Franschhoek Wine Valley to bring you four safari loops to ride plus two Chenin destinations worthy of exploring: Perdeberg Wines in Paarl and Van Loveren Family Wines in Robertson.
We will kick off the six-week Chenin Safari on 18 June 2022 with a fun ride hosted by the Wine Lands Cycling Club, ending at Ken Forrester Wines with a Chenin festival that will include brunch and a selection of Chenins to taste. The fun ride will have both a 20km and 40 km option.
Our six-week celebration of all things Chenin will conclude on 30 July (weather permitting) with a fun ride in the Bottelary Hills Renosterveld Conservancy. The 120km MTB trail network across farm roads, jeep tracks and numerous single tracks through Renosterveld fynbos offers spectacular views. While never too technical, there are challenging climbs and a variety of distances on offer for riders of all fitness levels.
How it works:
- Participants must register and pay R200 to sign up for the Chenin Safari. The registration fee includes the cycling permit for the fun ride and entrance to the Chenin festival on 18 June.
- During the six-week period, the Chenin Safari participants must visit the participating wineries and take a photo at the tasting venues.
- For the challenge, participants have six weeks to visit at least six Chenin Safari stops and upload a photo of their visit, tagging @cheninblancsa, @the_winery_name, #DrinkChenin and #CheninSafari.
- If you complete the challenge, you earn a free #DrinkChenin cycling shirt which will carry the logo of the participating winery you selected when signing up.
- Everyone who completes six Chenin Safari stops will earn their free #DrinkChenin cycling shirt.
- Everyone who visits more than six Chenin Safari tops will also stand a chance to win fantastic prizes.
- An overnight stay in a luxury suite on Jordan Wine Estate in Stellenbosch including breakfast, a bottle of Jordan wine, and a wine tasting and cellar tour for two people.
- An overnight stay at the beautiful Franschhoek Cellar cottage, a tasting at Old Road Wine Co and dinner with a bottle of wine included for two people.
- An overnight stay in the newly renovated EersteBosch guest cottages, in the heart of the winelands, for two people. (http://eerstebosch.com/)
- A wine blending course at Rickety Bridge for 2 people
- See the Franschhoek Valley Wine route in style, with two Wine Tram tickets.
- 36 Bottles of Chenin for one lucky winner.
For more details, please visit: https://www.drinkchenin.co.za/cheninsafari
Ken Forrester Wines
Franschhoek Valley Wines:
Old Road Wine Co
Bot River Loop: